Thursday, April 23, 2015

Happy Birthday, Earth Day! Lookin' Good for 45

Yesterday was the 45th anniversary of Earth Day- and it's never looked so good :) This week my parents are in town for my Baby Shower (yup, you'll be harassed with lots of green baby advice in the future), and have been gamely doing all the "green stuff" that consists of living/staying at my house and for events throughout the week. (Full Disclosure- my mom is a past AP Environmental Science Teacher, and my dad is a semi-crunchy camper and wood carver, so not a far stretch for them.)

Here's some of what they've gone through this week:
* We picked them up at the airport so they didn't have to rent a car. After all, many things are walkable from our house! (beach, grocery store, gym, shopping, bars...)
* Stayed with us instead of getting a hotel room (they are SUPER Hilton Honors Points collectors), and since the guest room is now the Baby's room, were game for our lush new guest room in the finished...garage.
* We brought them with us to the gym for a 1 week free pass- and almost made them walk (it's less than a mile)- but I took pity that they would be working out there, and I didn't give them coffee early enough in the AM to make that motivation stick.
* Had my napkin lovin' Dad use a reusable napkin for meals all week and use the same glass for water to drink from- even hid the recycled compostable napkins we had for the baby shower to keep temptation at bay!
* They had to take their shoes off in our house- to keep outside dirt out. This is tough for nature-lovin' parents who want to go in and out into my garden to investigate ripe cherry tomatoes or watch birds!
* They volunteered to pick up some more organic milk for us (so many people eating cereal in the AM!),and they walked to the grocery store just down the hill (and back up) with a heavy gallon of milk- yikes!
* They rented an eco-car for a 1 day trip to go visit my Dad's brother (I dropped them off the first day), then walked back from the rental car place the next morning as I had to be at work earlier (it's less than a mile)
* They crafted some yummy meals for us all during the week using the left overs from our baby shower.
* They helped keep our baby shower as Zero-waste as possible- carefully putting up and taking down decorations, and even helped me sort out the compostables that had been thrown in the recycling bin by the party attendees.
* Took down all of the gently used baby onesies from friends that I had clothes pinned up all over my house as decorations for the party
* Put all their coffee and tea grounds and veggie waste in the worm holding bin so I could bring it outside.
* Took Uber to visit me at work on Wed to attend my companies Earth Day lunch time fair and workshops! We got lunch at the cafeteria, and made sure to get and use reusable plates, utensils, etc to make sure there was no waste from our meal (Dad even finished Mom's stir fry for her so she wouldn't "waste" heheh)

Whew! They are great green sports, and I love them and the fact that they came out to visit us for the Baby Shower. Here's to you, Mom n' Dad! You're the greenest parents I could hope for, and hope to be the same for my little one!

No comments:

Post a Comment